Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Nothing quite like your own bed!

I feel great right now! After a fairly crazy few days (hence the absence from blogging recently), it was nice to get home yesterday and have a night in our own bed, and a lie in and lazy morning today - no getting up and onto my bike at 7.15 to cycle in for morning prayer! As much as I've enjoyed the last few days, and as much as I do enjoy going away etc. I've realised that there is nothing quite like a good night's sleep and lie in in your own bed.

The crazy few days started with the last day of Ridley term on Thursday which also marked the end of Ridley's 125th centenary year. This meant that we were graced with the presence of Archbishop Rowan who came to preach at the advent carol service - pretty impressive considering he had been in hospital for an operation under general anaesthetic just a couple of days previously. He gave a really thought provoking and interesting sermon about advent. The service also saw a great performance by the Ridley gospel choir (which has made it on to YouTube - click here to watch and enjoy via Dave's blog). It was followed by our college Christmas dinner and party - which included a number of star acts of drama and music by many of my talented fellow students and some staff, and then some great DJ'ing into the early hours from DJBurley. Very enjoyable end to what has been a fairly hectic and tough term!

Then on Friday, having spent the night after the party in the luxury of my Ridley study, Lisa and I were up early to sort a few things out and then by 11 were on the road up to Liverpool, as we were due to meet with the Liverpool Diocese Director of Ordinands (basically the guy in the diocese who keeps an eye me during my training and who in the not too distant future will be helping me to sort out where I go for my curacy after I finish at Ridley). He's fairly new in that job and I hadn't met him before so it was good to introduce ourselves and chat to him about how things are going for us etc. We then had a great weekend staying with friends and visiting and having some time with various friends and some of my family - including our friends and their gorgeous 2 week old Maisie born the day Lisa had her succesful interview (see God is Good post below). A very enjoyable Saturday, made all the more so by Liverpool's 2nd successive 4-0 win in the league - we'll be back challenging Chelsea and Man U before you know it!!

This all built up to a great baptism service and celebration on Sunday for our nephew and Lisa's godson Benjamin. Really special service with my Dad (the proud Grandfather) preaching and doing the baptising.

(Benjamin with 'Rev Grandpa')

(with Parents and godparents)

After a great meal at the Yuet Ben on Upper Duke Street (my fave Chinese restaurant), it was then back in the car on Sunday evening and on up the M6 in howling gales and driving rain to my parents place in Cumbria. We'd arranged to go up there with them after the baptism for a couple of nights as we'd not made it up there since last Christmas - and also because I'm really missing being within reach of the Lake District and Wales etc while down here in Cambridge (as below photo's will show the Gog Magog's (a small area just south of Cam.) don't quite compare!). So was glad to wake to fairly decent weather on Monday and had a great day with Mum and Dad, we drove over to Haweswater in the Eastern part of the Lake District via various floods and had a good walk.

(Mum and Dad with Haweswater behind)




Even capped the day off with a Mum cooked roast dinner - bliss!

Back in the car on Tuesday morning to do battle with the A66 to Scotch Corner and then the long haul down the A1 and A14 to home, via the delights of Bar Hill Tesco's. Fun didn't end there though - had a really good evening with friends and a great home cooked Indian courtesy of Rich B, before finally making it back to the comfort of my own bed.

Now for the essays...

1 comment:

Ellen Loudon said...

I am so jealous...can't wait till I go back to the Pool. Great piccies etc.