Saturday, January 13, 2007

Bereavement short course (+ a win for the Reds)

Have just spent the last 3 days on a short course on bereavement. It's not the sort of thing I want to discuss at length on here. Suffice it to say that it has been an eye opening, challenging, and at times heavy, few days; but definitely one of the most practical and useful courses I've done as I look towards my future ministry, really well led by a guy who certainly knew his stuff. It challenged me on many levels - my understandings of death and all that goes with it, practicalities of what has to happen when someone has died, bereavement and grief reactions shorter and longer term and so on; my theology, especially in terms of being able to talk relevantly in funerals or in response to questions etc. drawing on my theology and the Bible where appropriate but at a level that can be at least understood by those listening - avoiding getting lost in jargon etc. (crucial in many area's of ministry and church life but particularly so, I feel, in this whole area). It has also challenged me, young as I am(!), to sort out certain things personally - there are practical details and things that I avoid and put off because I don't particularly like thinking about the possibility of death and also sometimes forget that it is relevant whatever age we are, but that would significantly ease the practical burden on my loved ones should something unexpected happen to me. Not easy stuff - but good, and important, to be challenged like this now and again!

Anyway, back to more usual and lighter subject matter. Having said I was going to avoid mentioning football, but would probably end up crowing about it again as soon as something good happened - that time to crow has arrived after a mere 4 days. Watched Liverpool beat Watford 3-0 earlier today, with 2 goals from Crouch and 1 from Bellamy. Should have been more though - had 70% of the possession and battered them. Liked their goalkeeper, he made a few great saves. Still 3-0 away from Anfield after the last few days the Reds have had is fine with me! Just need to start performing against the big clubs now - saying which, it's Chelsea up next in the league.

4 comments:

Ellen Loudon said...

I am about to start a simular course. Glad you got so much out of yours.

Rich Burley said...

See that Peter Crouch - you love him.

Simon said...

At least people know who he is. See those Huddersfield players who nobody knows 'cos they're really rubbish - you love them.

Unknown said...

Bereavement courses are not easy, I went on one last year, looking at the needs of Children after a death. It brought up more questions than answers for me in some respects.