Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Talking sport but not football for a change...

Was made to chuckle when I flicked to the BBC sport website to check on England's progress in their 1st warm up game for the upcoming World Cup against Bermuda, to read that England's "best 2 batsmen have fallen to a 20 stone policeman"!!!!! Made me laugh, but not sure how well it bodes for England's World Cup chances - if they've got any to begin with!

Anyway, during and after the game there was banter about, and a focus on, the said Bermudan bowler's girth: He's called Dwayne Leverock and when questioned about his weight by BBC sport he responded "I don't get upset about that, its what the Lord gave me and I just use it to my advantage." - Well said Dwayne, all the best for the World Cup!

Next round of matches in Rugby Union's six nations tournament coming up this weekend. Holding out more hope for Ireland to beat Scotland than I am for England to beat France, especially given the annihilation England suffered at Irish hands last time out. Talking of which my Irish Father-in-law sent me this picture which pretty much sums up the game that day:

Anyway, let's hope England can prove my negativity wrong in both the Cricket and the Rugby!

4 comments:

Ellen Loudon said...

Simon, thanks for the kind words. All went well and I remembered most of Cramner's fine words - though a few were slightly out of order. (I don't think anyone noticed!).
Hope all is well you. XXX

Kristin Ross said...

Isn't that "England's new Chariot Driver" pic a scream?! :-) Glad to see it on your blog too! Hope all is well your end? David mention he spoke to you and Lisa the other day! X

Anonymous said...

Hi Simon,

Belated commiserations on the rugby-was at Anfield last week for that undeserved defeat-had a ticket for the Barcelona game but caught flu from the brother at the Man U game so couldn't go. Good draw today though so all bodes well. Hope you are both well.

Simon said...

Cheers David, though with Lisa and my Dad being Irish I don't mind Ireland beating England too much! Pity you couldn't make the Barcelona game - though being there would have been pretty scary. They kept showing pics of people in the crowd with heads in their hands. Hope you've recovered from your flu, and are both doing well. Don't forget you're welcome to come and visit Cambridge anytime!