Thursday, March 01, 2007

Crime in Comberton!

Comberton, where we are living at the moment, is a really nice village 5 miles out of Cambridge. So small and quiet that it took us a long time to get used to living here having been in the inner suburbs of Liverpool before. It's got some pretty thatched cottages, a village pond and green, 1 shop, 1 pub, and generally it's an idyllic 'English' village. We get a village magazine, with news from around the village, tips for the garden and other such cutting edge stuff called 'The Comberton Contact'. When we first moved down we saw a little section in this reporting 'crime' that had occurred in the village, and the only thing it had to report in that issue was a 'missing' bike from the caravan site on the edge of the village! Then, a while back there was an issue about a mobile kebab van that used to be in the village 5 evenings a week, and supposedly caused a gathering of 'unruly youths' around the crossroads and green. It all made me laugh a little bit!

However, recently things have been more serious with vandalism at the primary school and verbal attacks and things being thrown, when there have been people there for evening events and so on. I think part of the problem is that there is very little for teenagers to do in the villages around here - I'd have hated it when I was that age!

Then a few weeks ago our neighbours car was broken into one night on the road outside the house. Now it's happened to me! Got up to cycle in to college this morning and as I was pulling off noticed a load of glass in the road, and realised that someone had smashed the one of the little quarter light windows on my parents car (which we're 'looking after' while they're away travelling in Asia) and had a look through the glove box etc. They don't seem to have tried to actually steal it, and there was nothing in there to be nicked anyway. Sat here now, having reported it, waiting on a 'scene of the crime' officer who's coming to have a look shortly (funnily enough, at different times Lisa and I both had cars broken into in Liverpool and reported it but no police came to the 'crime scene' there!). Anyway, this is not the sort of thing I was expecting to be dealing with when we moved in to this little 'idyllic' English village that only had missing bikes to worry about - or so we thought!!!

**Update**
Car now in Cambridge Autoglass having window fixed through the insurance. Police 'scene of crime scientist' came and checked for 'evidence', but didn't seen too hopeful. I then spent a bit of time sweeping up as much of the glass as I could - interested me that while I was doing that a number of cars slowed right down had a good nose at me and the car and then drove on. Hmmm...human curiosity is a funny thing isn't it. Also reminded me a bit of what two of the characters in 1 of Jesus' more famous parables did!

1 comment:

Loobylou! said...

Bad news about mum and dad's car - strange to think that Comberton has crime especially after our visit to the quiet, peaceful little village! I suppose it reaches everywhere. At least nothing was stolen - a window can be fixed!