Tuesday, February 13, 2007

I'm the man! I've got it sorted, my priorities are right...

...according to a guy who shook me profusely by the hand as I stood with a glass of beer watching the last 1/2 hour of the England v Scotland game on the opening day of this years 6 nations rugby.

This was something else that I meant to post a comment on last week and never got round to it with everything else that was going on. But what happened was that while the 1st 2 matches - Italy v France and then England v Scotland were being played Lisa and I were on the Eurostar travelling to Bruges. When I realised at Bruges station that I was still in time to see some of the England game I was very keen to get straight to somewhere showing it, before going on to check in at our hotel, and Lisa very graciously agreed. So a taxi driver dropped us suitcase and all, at the 'Irish' pub pictured below, and in we went to a pub full of folk shouting at the TV - all English and Scottish accents, not another language to be heard. Anyway, dumped our bags, went to the bar to get a drink, and then the next thing I knew this English guy was shaking me by the hand and paying me the above compliments. Why? Because I had just arrived somewhere and gone straight out on the 'lash' without even going to our hotel first! He seemed seriously impressed. Ever wonder where the stereotypical images of 'Brits' and maybe especially 'Brits abroad' come from?!!!!! I had only gone there like that because of the rugby - honest!!

No comments: