Saturday, October 06, 2007

Tale of the unexpected...

...seems to be an appropriate way to describe the goings on in the 1st 2 quarter finals of the Rugby Union World Cup today. If you'd told me this morning that England and France would go through to the semi-finals at the expense of the Aussies and the All Blacks I'd have laughed at you, and I don't think I would have been alone! 2 incredible matches both decided by only 2 points, and both upsetting the form books. All part of the excitement of tournaments like this - especially when they get to the knockout stages, previous form counts for nothing.

It goes without saying that I was especially pleased with the England game. Our forwards were immense and the Aussies just had no answer to them. To think it was just a few weeks ago that we were beaten 36-0 by South Africa! Since then there has been a steady improvement by England that I think has had a lot to do with Gomersall and Wilkinson playing together again at scrum half and fly half. But it was the likes of Sheridan, Moody and Shaw who were the stars today - even meaning the normally dependable Wilkinson got away with a few uncharacteristic misses.

Enjoyed the post-match celebrations and interviews, especially the comment of the day from Nick Easter the No 8 who sarcastically thanked the British press "from the heart of my bottom for their support through the tournament so far!"

1 comment:

david c welker said...

Intersting blog, found it searching Bob Dylan, I think.