Sunday, March 30, 2008

Self-worth...

Nipped into a pub near the library I was working in for a quick bite to eat at lunchtime on Friday. Heard an interesting series of statements spoken by a guy, I'm guessing not too much different in age to myself, for all to hear as he sat at the bar with a pint. Went something like this:

"I love alcohol! It's the best thing God created."
"I'd be permanently drunk if I could effing well afford it, it's just too damn expensive; effing government and their taxes."
"I'm a better person when I'm drunk..."

Without wanting to be patronising this made me feel sad - the last bit especially. Maybe it was just bravado / drink speaking, but I think there was more to it than that. He sounded like he genuinely meant it, and it said a lot to me about his own self-worth. Self-worth - such a big issue, that underlies so much, causes so many problems, for so many people. Hmmm...sad and thought provoking.

2 comments:

Frederick Buechner's Lovechild said...

Hey Simon - good to meet you.

I traced your blog for two reasons

1) The God stuff and

2) The LFC stuff!

I'm a Church of Scotland minister in Aberdeenshire and, strangely enough, a lifelong fan of Liverpool Football Club, for whom it's been a great week, (on the pitch at least.....)

Will look forward to checking in to read about your progress. Hope you're enjoying the studying.

Blessings

FBL

Anonymous said...

are you now scouse curate?